Saturday, April 30, 2011

An Awesome Shitty Day


Another car sped by, ignoring my outstretched arm, clinched hand, with upward thumb--the universal sign indicating the person attached to said thumb needed a flipping ride. This after all was a National park, I surveyed the roadside and indeed the towering redwoods, rock strewn river and occasional open meadow was accounted for. A park was filled with trusting salt of the earth type people, right? Including this one with her thumb in the air, but no one stopped. Our energetic hike to Bridal Veil Falls had turned into a foot sore poky amble on our return, with the park shuttle AWOL we set out to locate the nearest shuttle stop. The day had turned hot; our custom-fit-at-REI hiking boots had created custom-fit-pulsating-throbbing-sores on both of our feet, are water bottles dry and our moods dour. So I did what any self-respecting mama bear would do, I struck out my thumb. Much later, we sat aside our campfire, to the soothing crackle of fire, gazing into dancing flames, glowing embers, satisfied and relaxed. "Does it get any better than this?" Transfixed by the fire, I spoke in a hushed tone.

Shannon replied softly, matching my tone, as she too gazed in the fire, "This was definitely an awesome, shitty day.”

We nodded to each other in agreement. Indeed.

No comments: