Monday, June 13, 2011

A Sunday Drive

Sunday I  drove to the countryside. 


STOP. 


Does this mean I'm old? Honestly, Sunday drives are for Aunt Mable and Uncle Vern (fictitious characters to protect any real relatives). So, here I am ambling about the countryside and loving it. If this means old, well then, I'll embrace it. 


Smile. 
I'm fortunate, the countryside is a short 20 minute drive away, which also worries me that it is a "short-20-minute-drive-away." This sign tells part of the story, along with development of the countryside" out-of-the-flood-zone," folks want to develop the flood plain by building expensive double levee systems so they can build...

 ...industrial parks. I've always loved this sign, kind of has a Jetson's look to it.

 This barn is located in Old Monroe, this spit of a town is the first one you go "bye" while traveling North on highway 79. The barn is locate in the middle of town where old frame houses with tin roofs share the street with newer ranches and their even newer shingled roofs. Tin roofs seem to last forever and as they age they gain a rusty patina--I'm guessin' that is when the forever ends--but they do tend to last decades longer than our asphalt shingled roofs that expire after 15 years.


These mailboxes caught my attention, nothing fancy about them, very utilitarian. The one in the foreground reminds me of those tin roofs I love so much. 


Hwy 79 begins at I-70 and travels North to Hannibal, Mark Twain's childhood home. When I was a child the hwy took you through Old Monroe. We had a weekend place on the Mississippi and I clocked our time by the towns we drove through: Old Monroe, then Winfield, and finally Foley. The new bridge bypasses Old Monroe, as does the commerce that used to keep the town afloat. The old bridge has been reduced to an 8 ton limit, they've restriped it as a single lane with an adjacent bike lane. This town defines "sleepy."



The owners of this old store may have lived on the second floor, as there is a dormer on each side of the building and the two-story porch. Do you think they liked living dangerously? Or did someone remove the railings from the upper porch? 




On my return trip home I pulled to the side of the hwy to get this shot, I've always wanted to snap this picture. This barn sits alongside a creek that is prone to flooding, the house is now abandoned and by the looks of those vines by the door of the barn, it appears abandoned too.


Hope you enjoyed part one of my Sunday drive, part two will be coming...

No comments: