Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Autumn Breakfast Hash

Really this could be anytime of the year hash, but as the leaves are still falling and it's November, I'll go with Autumn Breakfast Hash. My medical leave saga continues and I've been watching daytime T.V., one of my favorite programs is The Chew, a talk show, crafts show, foodie show. Perfect. This recipe is my take on Daphne Oz's Turkey Sweet Potato Hash -- you really can't go wrong with hash, it lends itself to adapting to the ingredients you have on hand. Daphne used apples and sweet potato's in hers and this intrigued me. I've used sweet potato's before, but never thought to add apples. A quick inventory of my fridge yielded fresh Kielbasa. This Kielbasa is the best, it's from Piekutowski's European Style Sausage shoppe, which is located in North St. Louis City, 40 or so miles from our home in the burbs. Our son was in that area yesterday and bought us some Kielbasa and other meats. So yum! Thank you son! 

Back to the hash. Here are the list of ingredients:


  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • 1 Idaho potato cubed
  • 1 sweet potato cubed
  • 1 apple cubed
  • 1/2 red onion chopped
  • 1/2 pound kielbasa
  • Salt and pepper to taste
In a skillet, melt butter and add a tbs of the olive oil, add to this the garlic. After a few minutes, add the potato's and continue to cook until they are browned. Add additional olive oil if necessary. Now add your onion and continue to cook. Last, add the apple and kielbasa. The kielbasa is already cooked and only needs to be warmed, continue cooking until the apple is warmed through, but not too mushy. 

Cook your eggs in your preferred method--I cooked mine up over easy--plate a serving of hash and add your egg on top. 

This is a new breakfast staple for our house. Love the tart sweet bite of apple, along with the smokey flavored sausage. 

Enjoy!!

33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesdays
mizhelenscountrycottage:full-plate-thursday-11-15-12






3 comments:

Susan said...

Looks delicious! I love breakfast recipes - I'll add this one to my "must make" stack! I'd love for you to share this at Tuesday's Table for the Holidays - http://zentmrs.blogspot.com/2012/11/tuesdays-table-time-for-holidays.html

Marguerite said...

Looks so-o-o good and I can't wait to try it! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog. I'll be following you, as well! Cheers!

Miz Helen said...

Wishing you and your family a very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you soon!
Miz Helen
A New Follower