Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer in Snapshots (week 6)


Linky Party at The Stafish Blog, Amber hosts the weekly summer in snapshots party. 
She also has beautiful custom jewelry you can buy on Etsy.
Week 6:
My book this week is the audio of The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry.


Every gift has a price . . . every piece of lace has a secret.
Towner Whitney, the self-confessed unreliable narrator, hails from a family of Salem women who can read the future in the patterns in lace, and who have guarded a history of secrets going back generations. Now the disappearance of two women is bringing Towner back home to Salem—and is bringing to light the shocking truth about the death of her twin sister.





Wednesday: The hot spell continues, the heat is taking its toll on my hosta's and hydrangeas. This bird bath is from my Nana's yard, it has a crack on the side so I applied a mosaic to it a few years ago. Some of my edge pieces have popped off, but overall it is holding up.

Thursday: Went to Woofies for a wiener run at lunch. I've never seen so many police and U.S. Marshall's frequenting an eating establishment; they were driving through, carrying out and dining in. The owner has a sense of humor too, note the "we serve a rightous wiener" below the  picture of Congressman Wiener. Ha!
Friday: It's continues to be hot and Bessie agrees. You can friend Bessie, The Mid Rivers Mall Drive cow on Facebook. The owners of Bessie change her outfit and props for the seasons and holidays, kind of like the yard geese people had in the 90s, on a much larger scale. Mooove over yard geese, Bessie is in the house (yard).



Saturday: On the hunt for a summer fresh tomato I visited Wiese Nursery for the first time, you pay by the honor system here. Isn't that nice? No hidden camera's, no one to check your receipt at the door...why these people TRUST you. I'll be back.

Sunday: A visit to the dog park and Gidget. The dogs had such cabin fever from being stuck inside in the airconditioning, so I took them to a nearby dog park that has a pond. Our Malamute discovered he likes to swim! 


After I brought the smelly happy dogs home, gave them a shampoo and dried them, I was ready for some down time. I don't remember the movie--though I'm sure I watched it as a kid. Sandra Dee plays the ever wholesome Gidget, it is worth watching just to see how times have changed since its 1959 debut. Don't judge me, but now I realize that Sandra Dee was an actual person Rizzo was singing about:

Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee, lousy with virginity
Won't go to bed till I'm legally wed, I can't, I'm Sandra Dee
Watch it, hey, I'm Doris Day, I was not brought up that way
Won't come across, even Rock
Hudson lost his heart to Doris Day
I don't drink or swear, I won't rat my hair,
I get ill from one cigarette
Keep your filthy paws off my silky drawers.
Would you pull that crap with Annette?
As for you, Troy Donahue, I know what you wanna do
You got your crust, I'm no object of lust,
I'm just plain Sandra Dee Elvis,
Elvis, let me be, keep that pelvis far from me
Just keep your cool, now you're starting to drool
Hey, fungu, I'm Sandra Dee

I watched Gidget (1959)
Monday: Cooked up some risotto, broiled flounder and a salad--using some of the produce from the farm stand. I've been cooking more seafood lately. The dish looked better than it photographed, I need some food photographic tips. ;)

Tuesday: My guys did the cooking, here they are chatting it up while they watch over the brats and burgers. Did you notice how healthy my meal was compared to theirs.

Week 6. Check.

Come visit me at http://subjectschosenatrandom.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

cherry said...

Looks like another great week at your place... " Went to Woofies for a wiener run " say that 3 times really fast ..lol love it !!
Have a wonderful afternoon girlfriend I'm sure you are busy getting ready to go back to work..
hugs from me

Teresa (Our Corner House) said...

i LOVE Gidget!!! a summer must! -Teresa (Our Corner House)